Monday 1 October 2012

A poisonous witch

Sometimes you come across someone masquerading as one of the good guys.  You haven't seen them for ages so you invite them in.  You welcome them with a smile.  And then BAM!  The clouds gather, the lightening splits the sky in half and they open their mouth and say...

'You look alright.  I heard your face had melted.'  Cue melting face hand gestures and pointing.  Then, as if I hadn't heard the poisoned barb the first time, 'you look fine.  I heard you'd...you know.  Melted.  Your face.'

At this point most people met with stony silence would realise the faux pas and back slowly out the door.  They'd plead for forgiveness.  Make some effort to retract such a statement.  Instead the poisonous witch looked at me quizzically, as if perhaps it was I who had some social problem.

My mind filled the silence that followed with a montage of images: having my face debrided (scraped;) the white V for Vendetta burn mask; the mirrors being taped up; trauma counseling to quell the dreams of melted, blurry faces and no reflections; not to mention the hours and hours and hours of 'face-care;' careful massaging and creaming.

I healed well.  I know I'm lucky.  I only have a couple of faint scars under my chin, on my lip and forehead.  Yet I still fear the loss of my face; it very nearly happened.  I don't need to be reminded of that ever, ever again, thank you. 

That witch has flown (off on her broomstick) and left behind only a trace of bitter spell. She probably hasn't given our encounter a second thought.  But...I won't be forgetting in a hurry and I won't be welcoming her again.  Life is too short to fill it with poison. 


2 comments:

  1. i really relate to this! a few people i've seen since i've healed/started going out have been like "oh. it doesn't look as bad as i thought it would, you made out it was much worse" and i'm like... oh okay... is that meant to make me feel better? lol. sorry that my shit experience didn't match up to your expectations. i've healed a lot faster than the doctors initially said i would, and i do look a lot better than I thought i would too (esp on my face and 'visible' parts), but the majority of it, and the worst of it is under my clothes so i guess when people see me they think i was exaggerating about what happened or something. people can be shit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree! People say the most selfish things - they don't have a clue. I don't mind people asking about it but it's the off-the-cuff comments that really get me. I even had to show my therapist photos because he 'couldn't relate to the extent of my injuries because I looked so well.' He was shocked when I brought my laptop to the next appointment and gave him a slide show! It's not like you want people feeling sorry for you, it's just about people showing some compassion and thinking before they speak. x

    ReplyDelete