Thursday 26 July 2012

Project Holiday!

Although I haven't expressly been told not to go on holiday to a hot country, the burns unit look at me with trepidation whenever I mention it. 'You do know you're not allowed to catch the sun or you'll hyper-pigment / burn easily / cause skin damage / WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!' 

I am not about to miss out on another Summer or a family holiday because I have had an accident.  It especially riles me because the accident was not my fault (as so often accidents aren't) and I don't see why I should suffer for other's actions.  Anyway.... if I'm told I can't do something I will interpret that as a challenge and I have treated the countdown to the beautiful beaches of Turkey as a project.  I believe that in a situation like this, the answer to enjoyment is ORGANISATION!!!

SUN-CARE

First and fore-most, a burn injury means you can't sunbathe.  However, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the sun.  Most sun advice applies to anyone, injured or not.  Here's your sun survival kit!
  • Sun cream for body.  Don't bother trying to get away with a lower SPF than 50 otherwise you will worry about it or even worse, burn.  Especially if you haven't seen the sun for more than a year anyway.  
  • Sun cream for face.  I get spots from sun-cream so it's worth getting a face-specific cream.  I like La Roche Posay Fluide-Extreme Anthelios.
  • A hat.  There are plenty of hats out there!  I'd get a cap for swimming in (very TOWIE) and a large, poser-ish, wide brimmed number for reclining on the lounger, under an umbrella.
  • Sunglasses.  I was burned around my eyes so giant, fabulous sunglasses provide extra coverage.
  • UV rash vests 50SPF. As I intend to swim and go on a boat trip, I need more protection in the water than cream can provide.  The vests also work like spanx and give you a great shape whilst covering upper body scarring.  Score!  I have bought the O'Neill long sleeved one with a matching bikini and a short sleeved one too.

  • A parasol.  I had a parasol last year and it was ace.  It means you don't have to panic about your sun-cream not being strong enough when you are wandering around eating ice-creams.  They can be very glamourous.  Make sure they are UV.  They also prevent you annoying other people by avoiding 'sun-panic.'  (I can't sit there! I'm too hot! Can we sit in the shade?  Note: however understanding people are, they will get tired of sun-panic after 2 weeks of hearing it!  It is up to you to make sure you don't have it.)


THE BODY BEACH 'LOOK'

If, like me, you've been having operations and you've been avoiding the sun, you might be feeling like a jelly-fish; wobbly and translucent.  It is worth taking some small steps to make yourself feel like the beach-babe you'd like to be!  Before 'burn-gate' I used to travel quite a lot and I would literally book it, pack the night before and hop on the plane.  This year, I have much more to address in order to feel 'holiday-ready.'  Call it vain....yes it's vain.  But I want to feel the best I can at this difficult time in my life.

  • Spray tan!  If you're not able to go in the sun, it's worth having a spray tan.  I had trouble getting any one to do the tan as I am still under the hospital.  In the end, I was just going to have my legs done.  However, after further discussion, the lady is happy to spray all of me provided I cover my arm injuries in a tubi-grip.  Having a bit of colour will eradicate any lingering desire to sun-bathe and boost my self-confidence.
  • Self-tan!  If you're uncomfortable with people seeing you, scars an' all, you might fancy self tanning.  I have just bought St Tropez gradual tanning to apply each night as I know my spray-tan won't last 2 weeks.  There are lots of products on the market these days and they don't smell like biscuits anymore!  When you use it, just avoid injury-areas if they are still being treated or sensitive at all.  And with all tans........PATCH TEST, PATCH TEST, PATCH TEST!  Leave 48 hours and do several areas including behind the ear and on your forearm.


Picture from Super Gorgeous Blog LDN:SKINS Gradual Tan
  • Waxing.  It's worth considering waxing as you will have enough body maintenance with all the massaging and injury care.  Something else you don't need to worry about!
  • Hair.  If you have your hair regularly cut get an appointment in just before you go.  I have highlights and I'm going to have some bleach-beach blonde put in around my face as if I have been in the sun....cheat!  I've also been growing it long so it helps cover the scarring on my chest.
  • Body.  You have to be kind to yourself and remember your body has been through a lot.  It might not be feeling like your old body.  2 weeks before my holiday I've made sure I've been eating better, drinking less alcohol and I've been doing regular exercise every day.  Even if it's only walking, it does make you feel better.  I've been stretching my muscles too, in front of the TV!  Another tip is to dry body brush and then vigorously massage in firming cream.  Pummel those thighs if you can! You will feel much better for it.  Taking an interest in your body now, for two weeks, will get you reacquainted with it.

THE HOLIDAY WARDROBE

Let's face it, I don't really want to bare my scars to the unforgiving world.  So my usual Summer clothes all went to the charity shop and I started again.   Evening wear is particularly difficult if you are covering up and need to be both cool and fashionable. The best place to find exactly what you need is online.  I also bought lots of pretty, floaty tops from charity shops to wear on the beach.  Here's my holiday list...
  • A variety of kaftans or loose, glamourous tops to wear over top half to waft around the pool in.  I also bought a net, fringed poncho to wear over my bikini.  Think about how you are going to make your swim wear comfortable for you, considering what you'd like to cover up.  I think the covered-up look is more sexy anyway. Very few people look wonderful almost-naked!!!
  • UV surfer chick rash vests.  Great for swimming.
  • Long sleeved, floaty maxi-dresses.  Cover everything!
  • Lots of one sleeved dresses/tops to cover my arm but get that less-clothed holiday look!
  • I scoured the high-street for shorts and a denim mini-skirt that were long enough to cover my pigmented graft leg.  In the end, supermarkets came to the rescue! I also had a go at making my own denim skirt and a pair of shorts from jeans.  Then I could choose the exact length appropriate to me.
  • As my neck is still quite scarred, I have lots of chunky necklaces to detract attention.
RANDOM THINGS TO CONSIDER.

  • Air-conditioning. If you're going to wear compression garments you need to be comfortable when you sleep.  Book your accommodation wisely!
  • Pool-side umbrellas.  Check with the hotel how many umbrellas they have...is it a very limited number?  You might just have to get up really early....now, where's my towel......!?
  • Alternative entertainment.  Consider taking lots of books and be prepared to retreat to an air-conditioned bar/room if it gets too hot for you.
  • Hand wash/washing facilities.  I'm only packing a couple of compression vests as the rest of the valuable room in my case is reserved for more exciting clothes-wear!  I am going to hand-wash my vests as I am only wearing them overnight.  Check washing facilities as compression garments can't be washed at too high a temperature/with softener.
  • Enough medication/creams and back-up for anything you're susceptible too.  Goes without saying but worth mentioning!  Anti-histamine is a good idea too...in case the hot weather causes skin irritation.
  • Travel Insurance. You might need special insurance if you have unusual circumstances or have recently had surgery.  CHECK!
So there you go.  No reason that you can't go on holiday, as long as you are organised.  Go with the mindset to enjoy yourself.  Prepare for the trip by doing all the things you can to make it easier for yourself.  I am counting down the days and I have lists coming out my ears!!!  I can't wait to doll-up in a kaftan, perch in the shade and read 50 Shades of a high-brow novel with a cocktail by my side and a pint of water at the other!  

So I'll be quiet for a couple of weeks but I'm sure I'll have a lot to say when I return.... 

4 comments:

  1. This is great advice for everybody! In a tan obsessed world and a huge rise in skin cancer we could all do with taking your advice!
    http://www.opinionatedaboutopi.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy. I've just discovered your blog. Are you still updating? Did you have a nice holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi both, thank you for your comments! Yes I am still updating, had a bit of a break over my holiday and the bank holiday but am back on the blog train :) I am going back to work next week so will probably write at the end of the week about how it's all going! I try to update about once a week but tend to wait until I have had an experience or something particular to say. Hope you enjoy reading and please do leave comments! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is amazing! I am going on holiday on friday...and very nervous. Burns + sun....Wheelchair + plane...Hair loss + hats...ahhh! http://georgiasurvivingtheunsurvivable.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete