Sunday 8 July 2012

Sweets for my sweets, Manuka for my honey....

This week was been tiring and stressful and before I knew it, I had a cold coming on.  I'm not used to colds.  I rarely get them.  So when my throat felt sore and itchy and my chest a bit tight I just ignored it.

On Friday I hurried home after sitting outside in the Sports Day rain and went straight out for dinner in the city.  Around 10pm the crowds began to clear out of Leadenhall Market and I could suddenly hear myself speaking.

Or more to the point, hear myself not speaking.

Initially I hadn't noticed amid the noise.  Yet now I could hear that I had very nearly completely lost my voice.  Every one listened to my croak in surprise.  I was fine earlier!  Yet suddenly, I sounded like velcro.

The rest of the weekend went by in a cough and splutter.  The only thing that made any difference to my hacking choke was a mysterious pot of golden ooze given to me by my man's grandmother, Manuka Honey.

Now, I'm all for bees.  More than 70 of the 100 crops that provide 90% of the world's food are pollinated by bees.  Albert Einstein famously predicted that if bees died out, 'man would have no more than four years to live.'    These winged buzzballs provide us with many of the world's super-products: royal jelly, beeswax and honey to name but a few.  They are an under-appreciated species to most...but not to my boyfriend's Grandmother.

She explained to me that this strange, glistening magma came from New Zealand and had a 10+ antibacterial rating.   It was also infused with lemon oil which gave it a delicious depth of flavour.  Apparently Honey has been used through the ages for it's healing properties but it is Manuka, the King of Honey, that offers the most benefits.

According to the Telegraph: Most honeys contain a naturally occurring active agent, which is thought to support good health but is easily destroyed when exposed to heat and light. Manuka honey contains an extra, naturally occurring active ingredient, which makes it distinct from other honeys. This additional component is stable and doesn't lose its potency when exposed to heat, light or dilution. Its special quality is known as UMF and the higher the UMF, the more potent the honey and its powers (aficionados reckon that you need a UMF of 10 or higher for the honey to be properly effective). It has antiviral and antibacterial actions, which is a good excuse for scoffing the stuff neat at the first sign of a cold or sore throat.


The wonder-bush of Manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) is indigenous only to New Zealand and also produces tea-tree oil.  When researched it is clear that Manuka has been touted as having a spectrum of health benefits yet specifics are not often mentioned.   It's clearest recommendations are for 'general good health' and 'contributes to the normal function of the immune system,' which are quite broad claims.  It has also been tested in wound healing but has yet to show any definitive results.  


If you do buy Manuka Honey, you must ensure it has a UMF factor of 10+ or higher as this is the recommended and certified concentration.  More information can be read on the official website - http://www.umf.org.nz/


As I already use a lavender beeswax to massage my burn-scars (click here for post) I am happy to absorb more natural bee-products and reap any possible benefits they can offer me. My immune system has been somewhat deflated since 'BBQ-gate' so anything that can boost it will be consumed with gusto.


As Winnie the Pooh so rightfully points out...



"what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.”


Time to get that porridge out from the back of the cupboard then......




http://www.rowsehoney.co.uk/#2012/05/demystifying-manuka-your-questions-answered/?bee=queen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3787867.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/5979247/The-benefits-of-Manuka-honey.html

http://www.umf.org.nz/ (Official Unique Manuka Factor)


























No comments:

Post a Comment