Thursday 8 March 2012

Rose tinted glasses; the tinted bubble of positive illusions.

I'm currently reading a book (Affluenza by Oliver James) that throws out the question, 'do we need to self-deceive to be happy?'

I have always tried to live each day as it comes, more so now than ever and this means not dwelling on what has happened to me. I try to see it as just an event in my life, alongside all the others. Neither good nor bad, just 'there.' Many people have told me how well I've coped. Although a lot of this could be down to my positive outlook...could it just be that I have a strong ability to 'suppress depressing truths in order to keep the show on the road?'

I am still human....if I sit and think too hard or really look at my arm I feel the misery imp on my shoulder. But if I flick him off into the abyss and put a jumper on everything suddenly looks much brighter.

According to the writer, James, 'being grateful for what you have is good for survival.' If you stop looking for something else and make the most out of what you already have you are more likely to thrive. I like this idea. However James goes on to say that it is against our consumerist society to be satisfied with our lot. Ideal body images flaunting flawless skin are thrust down our throats every second of every day, suggesting that those who are 'less than' should be working to obtain this image of prefection. My arm will never look the same again. Yet in my mind I see that 'ideal' and I strive to achieve it, deceiving myself that there might be a possibility.

Ironically, this self-deception might actually work. For example, if I hung up my dancing shoes and said, 'oh well, my arm will never look the same again so I may as well stop massaging, doing my exercises and throw my compression garments into the Thames,' my arm certainly never will look the same again. Yet if I keep up the self-deception and believe it will all work out, I will continue with the skin care and procedures that are needed to get as close to it 'all working out' as possible.

This self-deception goes by another name. Hope.

Affluenza.

No comments:

Post a Comment