Thursday 24 May 2012

Action Vs Procrastination and getting that Friday feeling

It's fun to talk.  I'm a woman so (apparently) I utter around 20,000 words a day.  When I was locked up at home with only myself for company those unspoken words cluttered up my brain.  I drove myself mad in thought.

Alongside those 20,000 words are: the emails I write; the texts I send; my blog;  diary; even the comments on the pupil's workbooks.  That's a lot of communication!  It's outward communication, linking to others and gaining responses.  It keeps me busy. Communicating creates tasks: you make plans; accumulate errands and reach decisions by bouncing ideas off people.  It leads to action.

Conversely, constant isolation and inward communication can cause you to procrastinate and ruminate endlessly on thoughts, feelings and ideas.  It can lead you in a circle; a state of flux where nothing ever gets finalised.

Whilst walking one day, I thought (inwardly) how much happier I am now I'm working longer hours.  My body is in 'action,' running here and there.  So it's still not the same as before and I still have a while before 'normal' arrives but I have a busy-ish schedule.  Thinking and self-procrastination are now limited for walks to and from the supermarket.  I don't wake up and spend the day considering the meaning of life anymore.  Thank God for that!

It is my opinion that individuals are made for action, not procrastination.  Obviously I'm not knocking the great thinkers of our time whose 'eurekas' have changed our lives yet I have reached the conclusion that too much thought is a bad thing.  In the prehistoric days our time was eaten up by survival, the hours filled by finding food and keeping the human race going.  Now we have too much on our minds.  Research has shown that although we are more comfortable, we aren't any happier.  I can imagine this is because our place in the world is vanishing; our purpose is no longer to just survive and procreate.

I am happiest when I am taking action.  Going to work, making things happen, meeting friends and walking virtuously to the supermarket.  Blocking out the diary is much more fulfilling than lolling on the sofa procrastinating about all the things I could be doing.

It's also such a relief to be able to do these things and enjoy them.  As events in life constantly remind us (especially as we get older, ahem) life is too short for just talk.  So stop thinking about 'tomorrows' and do it today, put the busy hat on.  That 'Friday' feeling only exists when you've had a productive week.  Otherwise Friday has no feeling, it ends up just like any other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment