Sunday 4 December 2011

It's good to talk...or write.

I know that counselling works. I've seen the statistics and I'm under no illusions that talking through things helps. Still, I can't get on with counselling so I've been referred to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

I don't know how many of you reading have had counselling, probably more than I think! Perhaps it has suited some of you. Unfortunately I find it irritating and unhelpful. It gets on my nerves, revisiting the same old issues, ones that can't be changed. I've had an accident, there are scars on my arm now, it's not the same. I have no choice is this matter, so questioning me is not going to help me.

Counsellor: So how are you feeling about things?

Me: A bit rubbish.

Counseller: And why do you think that might be?

Me: Um, because I got set on fire?

I can never think of anything to ask the counsellor, so it became pretty much a one way conversation. And it was depressing. Let's spend the next hour discussing the worst moment of my life. (I almost added 'so far' here but resisted. This better be the worst!)

I'm hoping that CBT will be a bit more 'hands on' and look at solving issues rather than discussing them.

I was reading in my Psychologies magazine this month about 'how writing can help you heal.' Apparently James Pennebaker, Professor of Psychology at the University of Texas did an experiment in the 1980s, getting his students to write down their feelings about an emotional upheaval for 15 to 20 minutes a day for 4 days. The students reported feeling better in a number of ways. Pennebaker went on to research this approach and found an improvement in a wide range of ailments from depression to asthma. He also found his subjects' immune systems were boosted and they visited their Doctors less often.

He believes that our minds are designed to try to understand and process things. Therefore writing down our thoughts and experiences helps to sift through them. Expressing them can help us make sense of trauma and cope more effectively.

Of course, that fits perfectly in with my blog. This has definitely helped me out more than traditional counselling!

No comments:

Post a Comment