Thursday 1 December 2011

PTSD - not all wounds are visible

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder was something I studied in Psychology at College, not something I thought I would ever suffer from. Yet recently I was diagnosed with mild symptoms of the disorder and have been referred to a type of therapy known as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. This is to minimise the chance of developing anxieties or phobias linked to the accident and 'trauma' suffered.

We know more about PTSD nowadays because lots of soldiers coming back from war will suffer from it due to the terrible experiences they have had. It is important to treat people after trauma in a timely fashion to stop the disorder eating them up and taking away their ability to live a fulfilled life. It can also lead to other problems such as alcohol dependency, depression and an inability to cope.

Although I've been told some of the symptoms I am experiencing are part of the disorder, I feel that most people who have suffered a trauma would display these feelings or behaviours. PTSD can be diagnosed if these symptoms are still prevalent after 6 weeks but I do feel that some of these may persist for months or longer. I think having a significant accident may make you always feel differently towards certain things.

An example would be strong, uncomfortable feelings related to situations related to the event. I am probably always going to be nervous around BBQs, bonfires and other sources of open flame or fire. I'm not sure these 'strong, uncomfortable feelings' will go away after 6 weeks. I'm not sure they will go away at all!

I am quite 'hyper-vigilant' but am hoping this will lessen over time. Apparently this is something that CBT will help with. Bright, electrical lights startle me, like gas flames or fireworks. When the fish-tank light came on the other night, I jumped out my seat! I also see accidents everywhere but I think this will lessen too. It's early days still.

I have also had palpitations a few times and can suddenly feel my heart pound in my chest. I constantly check for fire exits, refuse to get into lifts or move the oven gloves away from the hanging on the oven door!

I'm really pleased that I am being referred to CBT as although I think I'm doing really well in my recovery I'd hate to miss something and it escalate into an irrational fear. It's better to act early. As resilient as I am, I still need support to make sure I recover from this ordeal as well as I can.

The person who has had the accident needs to take action themselves but others can also help them by acting appropriately. If you know someone who has had an accident or trauma, follow this advice from the Royal College of Psychiatrists. There is nothing worse than people telling you how lucky you are! Believe me!

Do…….
*watch out for any changes in behaviour – poor performance at work, lateness, taking sick leave, minor accidents
*watch for anger, irritability, depression, lack of interest, lack of concentration
*take time to allow a trauma survivor to tell their story
*ask general questions
*let them talk, don’t interrupt the flow or come back with your own experiences.

Don’t …….
*tell a survivor you know how they feel – you don’t
*tell a survivor they’re lucky to be alive – it doesn't feel like that to them
*minimise their experience – “it’s not that bad, surely …”
*suggest that they just need to "pull themselves together".


Further information can be found on the Royal College of Psychiatrists website.

No comments:

Post a Comment