Tuesday 10 January 2012

Physio-therap-me!


You will be pleased to hear I'm going to stop writing miserable posts for a while. Post-Christmas has been hard for all the reasons I moaned about earlier but I've taken control and been feeling better for it. It all started last Friday with my Physiotherapy session.

I've really been looking forward to my Physiotherapy as I was hoping for acupuncture to help with my rash. Sadly this was not to be.

My immune system is too suppressed for that at the moment. I also couldn't have extensive massage or manipulation of my muscles as I am 'too fragile.' Me, fragile? Not a word I would have used for myself, (especially not with the extra weight gain, ha ha) so I was surprised to emerge with some simple exercises to help stretch my back, stretch my arm and improve my posture.

And that was it.

The thing about Physio is it's a little at a time. Considering I'm normally used to pounding the pavement, lying on my stomach and squeezing a cushion between my knees feels a bit pathetic. But, I am a trooper. So the last few days I've been squeezing away as though my life depends on it.

My life may not depend on it but my posture does! I was told my posture is 'poor.' This horrified me as I've always been proud of my deportment. I've gone from finishing school to slouching like a sulky teenager at school. It has to change if I am ever to sashay in my shoeboots again.

My Physio realigned my back as my pelvis was slightly tilted and demonstrated how to sit correctly. It feels nice to sit up straight but it feels very strange. I've really had to catch myself during the day and pull up my spine and relax my shoulder blades. It's been five days and what a difference! Already it is becoming more natural as I make a conscious effort in the car, in front of the TV (sometimes!) and when I'm walking along.

As for walking...I took the Physio's advice and have also started walking for half an hour a day. I am desperate to go back to running, (I envision running 5k, 10k, a half-marathon for the Katie Piper Foundation) but I have realised this is a pipe dream at the moment and as the old adage says...I need to walk before I can run.

The physio also recommended some holistic therapies such as Reflexology and Reiki to help relax me. I'm looking forward to those!

So well done me. Now I'm going to sit up straight, squeeze those knees....and have a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment