Sunday 6 November 2011

Revelations

Did my life flash before my eyes?

No.

Am I re-evaluating my life?

No.

Can I suddenly see how lucky I am?

Yes.

The greatest revelation has been just how much I love my life and the people in it. It has surprised me how proud I am of the life I have constructed for myself and the choices I have made to get here.

It sounds ridiculous and a bit short-sighted of me but I never really knew how important it was to have people around you that would do anything to make you feel better and look after you. I'm very lucky that these people extend not only to my family but to my man and my friends.

Most people talk about all the things they want to do after a 'close-call.' There are still lots of things I want to do but mostly there are things I'm glad I've done already. I'm glad I've chosen to take the opportunities that have come my way and made the most of my life everyday. I've chosen to surround myself by positive and lovely people, I strive to be the best at my job and I'm pleased with where it's taken me.

Of course there are some things that will be different for me now! I will always be more cautious. I don't like fireworks or bright flashes. I'm nervous of lifts, christmas lights and enclosed spaces and I dislike things that heat up: ovens; kettles; hairdryers; microwaves...I think I will always hate flames. No more cosy fires for me!

On a more personal note, I don't think I will waste as much time anymore. It has become more precious. I have always made decisions and changed things I don't like but I think now it will take me less time to get around to the right decision.

I think I am less likely to take things for granted. Examples would be my face, I used to complain a lot about my skin when really, it was lovely. I also complained about my figure, despite being fit and healthy from running a lot. Since having this accident, I am always going to feel kinder towards myself!

Of course I'm only human so I am sure I will become unappreciative again...sometime. But right now, I can appreciate the life I had and I want it back!

No comments:

Post a Comment