Thursday 17 November 2011

Carry on Doctor!

Yes we know you're busy and the NHS is over-stretched...but what's happened to bedside manner?

Doc: Hi, what can I do for you?

Me : Hi, I'm here to update my sick note, I had an accident in July?

Doc: Ok....

Me: Um....have you read about it? It happened on the 22nd July.

(Doc gets flustered now, starts scrolling manically through my notes, hovering around 22nd September)

Doc: Let me see, let me see. Nothing here. Um, 22nd, 22nd....nothing! There's nothing here.

Me: 22nd July....no...July, that's September.

(Still looking at September intently, as though it might spontaneously change into July)

Doc: No nothing here. So, what happened?

(I explain here, as briefly as possible. I don't mince my words. Doctor looks perturbed.)

Doc: Oh dear.

(Scrolls up...)

Doc: Oh, the 22nd July. I was looking at September. Sorry....



EVERY TIME!

I've been to the same practice numerous times and each time they haven't read my notes prior to my arrival. Each occasion I prompt them to do so and they spend a few essential minutes catching up with my distressing history. A couple of times, like today, they ask me to relive it.



At the moment people look very surprised, Doctor included, when I tell them what's happened. The make-up and the skillful dressing is working. I look 'normal.' I warn them if only they could see under the clothes...

Because I look 'normal,' people are not being very careful with what they say, such as Doctor this afternoon. I look ok, so I must be ok, right?

Apparently if you're traumatised, you should look traumatised. You shouldn't wear nice clothes, put make-up on and get on with business as usual. You should stop everything: cry a lot; wear a baggy tracksuit and stop washing your hair.

I have become a master of disguise. It is just that; a disguise. Under the disguise, I am a 26 year old who has had a disfiguring and traumatic accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment