Monday 24 October 2011

Massage - My experience on how to do it and what to use

Massage is really important to your recovery.

Massage helps rebuild the collagen in the skin, breaking down tough fibres. It also stimulates new tissue growth. Massage is important to decrease sensitivity in the tissue and stimulate damaged nerves. It also reduces pain and tightness in the scar. Scar massage will increase circulation in the area.

Dedicated scar massage will help the healing process in the scar and also help it to fade. There should be less redness and swelling. Massaging the scar reduces the chance of it contracting.

When I first had the bandages off my skin graft, I was horrified that I had to massage it. The procedure had only been done 7 days ago but the nurses pronounced it 'taken' and ready to massage. It looked like a shark bite and I felt a horrible sensation when it was touched. I was told that I needed to massage it four times a day. I was really nervous of doing this. I was told to use whatever cream I preferred as long as it was gentle or non-perfumed.

At first I cried every time I touched it. I really hated it. Mum and I took to calling it my 'pretty' skin graft and my 'clever' skin graft and tried to stroke it with love. After all, it had repaired painful and dangerous wounds on my arm.

I started off using E45 to massage my arm but I found it dried and left a white emulsion over my skin. I switched to Aqueous cream because of this, as it was little lighter it didn't leave the same residue. After about 4 weeks, once the skin had healed more and the stitches had come out, I switched to Bio-Oil.

My skin has changed colour rapidly. I don't know if this is because of the Bio-oil, the surgeon's skill or the dedication to massage early on. Some of the skin has already changed back to normal colour! Now I am in the compression vest flattening down the scars too, I am hoping it is going to look excellent in another 3 months.

I have lost the feeling in my arm in several large patches, due to nerve damage. All I have been able to feel is occasional stabbing, needling pains in my arm and mostly in my shoulder. However, recently, I have felt sensation in my grafts! I am hoping this is due to the massaging and that it means my nerves are growing back. My boyfriend is going to massage my grafts too shortly, to help me work out what I can feel and hopefully stimulate the nerves further. It might even be relaxing....we will see!

Obviously, everyone will be told how to massage their own injuries by their physio. Here are some things I have only recently discovered. Find somewhere warm if possible and keep as warm as possible overall. Your body has so much work to do healing you; you don't want to give it extra work, such as keeping you warm.

1. The massage must be firm. I didn't realise this to begin with and simply massaged the skin at top surface level. Your fingers should push very firmly on the skin and move in small circular movements. This will have the best results. Afterwards, you do feel better and more able to move!

2. Stretch! As my skin grafts are on my arm and shoulder, the physio had me lie on the bed with my arm stretched out whilst massaging. This helps keep the movement and helps keep the skin limber. It also meant the contracted tissue and scars were stretched out and then massaged at stretching point.

3. Don't rush it. This is a difficult one but I do try not to rush my massaging. I don't spend a really long time doing it, about 5-8 minutes a time but I do try to stretch it out at other times during the day. I would suggest that you do it as long as it feels ok. If it feels sensitive or sore then stop.

4. Blistering, spots and skin breakdown The physio said that I might experience blistering, spots or skin breakdown (i.e. small sores) If this happens, then I should just be gentle on that area. She said it might breakdown because of the firm massaging but that the massaging is more important.

It is so BORING massaging. I really find it a chore. Part of this is because the weather has turned cold and I hate taking off my clothes to do it. However, I know that it needs to be done if I want good results. If, like me, you are struggling with the commitment, think long term. I want to get as close to my pre-accident arm as possible with just a few scars for character.

Massage can also be used to treat pain and stress. It is worth looking into having a massage elsewhere on your body to help relax you and increase your well-being. When in hospital, my Mum gave me a foot massage twice a day and it was lovely to be touched and feel my body as a source of pleasure rather than the pain I was predominantly feeling. I am going to look into reflexology now I am home.

Further information can be read at this discussion forum http://www.katiepiperfoundation.org.uk/forum/#/discussion/44/creams-for-scars-and-burns

http://www.bio-oil.com/en-us/

No comments:

Post a Comment