Wednesday 19 October 2011

'The Rash'




It's like a title from a bad horror movie. 'The rash' appeared impetigo-like about a week after my graft procedure. 7 days after the skin graft, once it was confirmed as 'taken,' the nurse insisted I put a tubi-grip on it to flatten it out. This was quite horrific. My arm looked like a shark-attack and I was to roll the tight tubi-grip down three times a day and massage the graft, stitches and all.

The skin was so delicate and during one rolling down of the tubi grip, a little bit came away. I'm talking the tiniest smidgeon, about the size of my little fingernail.

Very quickly, I developed the rash.

Initially it was yellow and quite scabby. It slowly transformed to bright dotty red, flaky, scaly, little spots that burst and now it is something between the three. I have now had it...wait for it...two and a half months!

I have had various diagnosis's such as Impetigo, Herpes, Thrush...the list goes on.

I have used 6 topical solutions but I've had to stop using them as they break the skin down where it's so sensitive. I have also had 2 lots of the antibiotic flucloxacillin and a course of fluconazole. I've tried washes such as Dermol.

I have had 2 swabs which have come back as normal. The only thing present is Staphylococcus aureus. The nurses say this is not something they treat as it is normal to have Staph present on the skin. Unchecked though, it can cause a whole host of issues. (Last comment due to self diagnosis on Internet. Not always reliable.) So I am not sure if it really is o.k to just leave, especially as it is still a bit crusty.

My housemate has named the rash 'irritus anonymitus.'

The most irritating thing about it is that it nearly stopped me from being able to wear my compression vest. I don't REALLY want to wear it as you know but the sooner I can wear it the better the results.

I am hoping that my body fights back whatever this rash is as my immune system picks up. Since the accident I have been pretty run down, culminating in a seriously unpleasant urinary tract infection last week.

I have looked into acupuncture and am hoping to have treatment in the next 2 or 3 weeks. The acupuncturist has come highly recommended and has suggested that I will need 3 sessions of 45 minutes each.

At this point I am willing to try anything, even if it is, as some really 'helpful' people told me; 'simply a placebo effect and it's a shame to hand money over to a bunch of charlatans!'

If anyone has any positive help or advice or has experienced something similar after surgery or a burn injury please do let me know! I am a bit of a wimp these days though, so please don't post any scary or gory comments. They will be deleted with one eye shut!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment