Tuesday 18 October 2011

Nutrition - you are what you eat.

One of the most important things I've had to consider is the food and vitamins I consume. Good nutrition is important in everyday life but even more so after sustaining a burns injury. I did lots of research and devoured my fill of advice. I read that a healthy, nutritious balanced diet was essential....but I already followed a healthy diet. Still, there had to be some tweaks to make sure I was covering all bases.

Here is some of the information I've gathered. Please be aware that it is from various resources on the web and I am not a Doctor. This is simply an amalgamation of knowledge. I have only included it if it is general good sense, I'm not into the far fetched!

Calorie intake

The hospital instructed me to eat roughly twice the amount of calories I should normally consume. As a relatively petite female this is about 1800 a day.

So 3600 is a lot!

Especially as these have to be the right calories. I had a lot of comments along the lines of 'ooh lucky you, you can eat whatever you like!' But no, there is no nutritional value in hoovering up a family box of Thorntons each night. (Although I did this a couple of times.)

Instead, I needed to focus on protein, fresh fruit and vegetables and complex carbohydrates. Plus lots of liquid!

One of my main concerns, vainly so, was the weight gain. But you don't need to worry too much about this, for a few reasons.

1) Your body is utilising the calories, so you shouldn't gain much weight. The hospital told me this and I was very disbelieving but I actually haven't gained a great deal. Maybe half a stone. So I bought some new jeans.

2) You must remember your body needs to recover. I keep forgetting this. Something I must remember myself! Be kind to your body, it's trying it's best for you.

So, ask your medical person how many calories and try to make it.

Protein

The body loses protein through wounds, so it is very important to consume lots of it. You mostly want lean protein really though, no point in clogging up your arteries too! Burnsurvivor.com has the following to say:

Protein requirements generally increase more than energy requirements and appear related to the amount of lean body mass. The body loses protein through wounds and because of this, the body has increased calorie needs for healing. However, the majority of increased protein requirements come from muscle breakdown for use in energy production. Providing an increased intake of protein does not stop this breakdown. Rather it provides the materials needed to synthesize lost tissue.

So, where will you get your protein?

  • Meat, poultry, fish, shellfish and eggs
  • Pulses, nuts and seeds
  • Soya products and vegetable protein foods
Normally you are advised to eat 2 to 3 servings a day according to BBC Health. A serving could be:

  • 100g boneless meat (eg lean beef, lamb or pork)
  • 100g boneless poultry (eg chicken or turkey breast)
  • 100g fish (eg salmon, sardines or tuna)
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 3 tablespoons of seeds (eg sunflower or pumpkin seeds)
  • 3 tablespoons of nuts (eg almonds or walnuts)
I made sure I ate protein with every meal during the first 2.5 months. I ate a lot of omelettes! Just be aware that if you are on a lot of painkillers and are suffering from a sluggish digestive system as a result, eggs might not be for you as they can stuff you up further!

Tinned or fresh oily fish is also a good idea. It is cheaper than buying lots of meat and seafood which can really set you back. You also get Omega-3 in oily fish which is very good for your skin.

Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are an ideal source of energy for your healing body. They are converted more readily into glucose than proteins and this glucose can be used for energy.

There are good carbs and not-so-good carbs. These are known as 'simple' and 'complex' carbs. Without getting into a nutritional mire, this basically splits into two types of foods. 'Simple,' also know as 'refined' are things like white bread, flour, pasta, pizza dough, biscuits and so on. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know this isn't the best route. 'Complex' or 'unrefined' are better for you as they are more natural. BBC health suggests:

Most people get their whole grain from wholemeal bread or whole grain breakfast cereals such as porridge, muesli or whole wheat cereals. Choose a whole grain variety over processed or refined grains, and look out for added sugar or salt.

Other whole grain foods include:

  • Brown rice
  • Whole barley
  • Rye bread
  • Rye crackers
  • Oatcakes
  • Popcorn
Remember though, you need to eat plenty. So if you don't fancy the complex carbs, then eat what you fancy at least. For a long time I felt quite sick, so I ate lots of things that wouldn't be considered perfect nutrition!

Fruit and Vegetables

These are always a good idea! You should be eating lots of brightly coloured fruits and vegetables and lots of them! This will help you take in lots of vitamin C. I did focus on those I particularly like anyway such as avocados, sweet potatoes and berries. They are full of antioxidants and good for the skin.

Eat your five a day at least. Remember, a portion size can differ depending what it is but you can normally check the packet these days. Go for a small handful portion if not sure!


Vitamins

Now, there are probably millions of vitamins you need but these are the ones the hospital told me about.

Zinc - needed to help rebuild the damaged cells, process your protein and carbohydrates and boost your immune system. You can overdose on Zinc which can make food taste funny, so don't overdo it and consult your medical practitioner.

Vitamin C - Helps new tissue growth. Aids healing. You can't really overdose as the body excretes excess but if you take too much it might upset your stomach. Follow guidelines on packet.

Vitamin E - Promotes healing. Can be used topically too once skin has healed. You can take too much (very high doses) so check guidelines.

I would take an all-round multivitamin too.

There is plenty of information regarding nutrition for burns injuries and this is just a summary of all the research I did. Eating well is important anyway but after this type of injury you must make sure you are supporting your body by eating enough calories and choosing the right things.









No comments:

Post a Comment