Thursday 27 October 2011

Covering up burns, scars and scorch marks - a master of disguise for winter

Luckily, I am female. That means I have a plethora of fashionable clothes to choose from and several make-up choices at my disposal. Yes, it will take some time to adjust to high necked and long sleeves...but with internet research and free delivery, I can try them out in the safety of my own home.

I have always been more The Only Way Is Essex
than Made in Chelsea.

I am really reluctant to give up looking good, to cover up.

But then I thought...don't lots of people do this everyday???

I am one of the lucky few who loves the gym, enjoys running and likes eating healthily. As a consequence I (pre-accident) have a trim figure. Yet most people have bits they dislike: less-toned arms, post baby-stomach, chunky thighs. The key is not to think about covering up bits but exposing the best bits! Well, it made Gok Wan his fortune...

Scarves
Scarves are one of my new favourite things. They look excellent on men too. As winter is coming up in the UK, scarves are the perfect cover-up. Forever21 do an excellent, affordable collection. http://www.forever21.com/UK/Product/Category.aspx?br=f21&category=acc_scarf_gloves I have bought several and now have a huge range of colours and weights.

Jumpers
I've mostly found that plain jumpers with a contrasting coloured scarf swathed over the top looks the most appealing. Most jumpers, however chunky, usually don't go high enough up the neck. I have found some excellent ones from Primark at £5 each, so you can buy every colour. Alternatively, roll-necks work well. They are especially good to go under pretty tops that you want to wear but find an unsuitable shape.

Show your shape
If you have a nice figure, you can still show it off. There are a lot of long sleeve dresses, that combined with tights (if needed) or a scarf (if needed) would look very flattering. There is no need to wear shapeless clothes (unless of course you need to give your injury space. Then you should wear whatever is comfortable.)

Lace is also really fashionable at the moment which is perfect to hide discolourations of the skin. Just make sure the lace isn't too scratchy on sensitive skin.

Pussy bow dresses and blouses are also very popular at the moment and a godsend to the covered up look! They are flattering on most shapes although if you have a very big bust you might look better with layers of co-ordinating colour rather than a block colour across your chest.

Good underwear
Underwear can really help your outfit. I am having to wear a really good strapless bra, as I can't do straps. However, I have figured out I can have a strap on one side from the front, over the shoulder and attached to the opposite side at the back. This gives a bit more support. I am going to be wearing a lace bodysuit under quite a lot of my clothes. These are fashionable and cover up a world of issues! I washed mine first to help soften them. Search for bodysuits to find a selection.



Jewellery
Jewellery can be used as a focal point, to misdirect the gaze. I burnt my ear badly, so earrings are out for a couple of years. My right forearm is badly scorched but I can't always wear sleeves to the wrist! Instead I have been wearing a big bracelet and statement ring on my left arm. I have noticed that the person's gaze is drawn to my non-injured arm because of the bling! It's difficult but I'm practising gesticulating with my left arm too (I'm right-handed) to further minimise people noticing. Misdirection! It sounds silly but it works for Derren Brown!

Armery - Thanks Mary Portas!
Armery has been designed as a bingo-wing-holder-inner for ladies who want to wear sleeveless fashions. Indirectly, they are also a brilliant cover-up for anyone who has an injury on their arm! Lots of outfits I've found have high necks but are sleeveless and this will be just the thing to sort out that problem. You could also wear them under t-shirts, as they are quite discreet. http://www.mytights.com/gb/findit/mary-portas.html?limit=30&gclid=CMOM5eKLmKwCFYEZ4QodiggFPQ

Hair
If you can, get a good hair style. My hair burnt off quite badly at the front and I had to have the sides and some of the back shaved. I am aware I'm very lucky that I've got thick hair but I'm even luckier I have a good hairdresser. She came round to do my hair at home and she went through my injuries with me, to make sure she didn't catch me in the wrong places. I felt more comfortable this way. She cut me in a thick fringe to cover up all the lost, stumpy and spiky bits. She evened out the charcoaled ends. Already, it looked so much better. Next, I had a few packets of bleach to cover up my roots as I had to wear my hair up all the time.

Roll on 2 months and the fringe is long enough to brush to one side, reminiscent of my original side-sweep. I went to the salon for a full head of highlights and went bright, bright blonde! Doing this made me feel like I have more control over my appearance.

The only thing to be cautious of is colouring...if you have had a burn on or near your head you might want to avoid putting all over colour on these areas. Packets are much more controlled.

Make-up
If, like me, you are able to use camouflage make-up then work out what you want to highlight and what you want to disguise. I make my face a blank colour and then join up where the red patches are (under the make-up) with very pink blusher. This works because if the make-up comes off at all, the blusher helps blend the red patches together. I just look very flushed!

Another trick I am using is dark, smoky eyes. Lots of mascara, eyeliner etc. Then I cover my lips in the Dermablend concealer and white them out. This means you can't really see my blurred loss of lipline. I try to draw people to my big blonde hair and smoky eyes. Misdirection!

Lastly....

SMILE
No one wants to talk to angry looking, unsmiley people...well-dressed or not! You could look fabulous but if you aren't smiling, what's the point? You will find your own style again, it might take a while if you're on a budget like me or if you have a lot to heal up but you will look and feel fabulous again in time. It takes practise, perseverance and a positive attitude. Sometimes I look in the mirror and all I can see is graft, rash, red, red, RED! But then I remember it's early days and I get to work.

1 comment:

  1. I love to buy wonderbra bras !!!! I would highly recommend it for small-busted ladies and it is very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete