Monday 17 October 2011

Guide to using Dermablend Camouflage Make-Up

These are the three products I use to create a pretty much flawless finish.

Vichy Dermablend Ultra-Corrective Foundation Cream Stick 12g-Porcelain 11

Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation 30ML Shade 'Nude' with SPF 20


Vichy Dermablend Corrective Cosmetics Fixing Powder in Clear


I looked for advice when buying and trying these products and I really struggled to find anything helpful. I watched the Dermablend video on their website http://www.vichyconsult.ie/franchises/dermablend.aspx which made it look very easy. It's worth a watch but remember, you are going to need to practise, practise, practise!

STEP ONE

It's really going to depend on your skin type but with this make-up I have found that it lasts longer if first you prep your skin. For me, this means doing nothing as I have quite greasy skin naturally. However, you should moisturise before you apply this make up if you have very dry skin. Otherwise the colour seems to get stuck on the skin and look uneven in texture. If you do moisturise, you must make sure it is totally and completely soaked in. I would leave at least 15 minutes or so.

Another thing I have discovered. If you are wearing any silicone gels on your face for scarring (such as Kelo-cote) then you must either leave it off or make sure it is totally dry. You are meant to put the thinnest sheen of the gel on so it dries very quickly but if it is even in the least tacky your make-up will clump on it.

As the areas you are treated are probably the areas you want to cover, leave a decent amount of time for the gel to dry! Otherwise you will just get frustrated and be late on your way out!

STEP TWO

Get your corrective foundation (tube.) Although mine is in a 'nude' shade, it looks really dark and a bit scary! I was really worried I'd look 'The Only Way is Essex' orange so the first few times I applied it sparsely. This only gives a patchy look.

I stand in a slightly darkened room, or in front of a mirror that doesn't have fluorescent light that highlights every little flaw!

Put a pea size amount (to start) on the back of your hand. Dab your 3 middle finger tips in it. Smear it onto your face in a sweeping moment from your nose outwards across your cheeks. On the good side of my face this is enough but on the other side I also have to cover up my chin, under my chin and part of my neck.

You will probably need some more for across your forehead and eyebrows. You should use enough to cover all your face. Don't worry about it looking too dark. The foundation looks dark on your hand but I think this is due to the level of pigments in it. On your face it seems to sink in and adjust to your skin tone. The key is not to be afraid and not to skimp!

STEP THREE

Now you have an overall colour, you are going to use the Corrective Concealer stick to camouflage the scars or brightest patches. It is like a thick pan stick.

Wash the foundation off the back of your hand so you can put concealer there now. The back of your hand is like your paint palette. Rub the concealer stick vigorously back and forth across the back of your hand, about an inch in length. This is to help warm it up and become more malleable. Once you have a thick patch on the back of your hand, use one finger (I use my middle finger) to rub over the concealer and get a decent amount on your fingerpad. Then firmly dab the colour onto the smaller areas you want to cover. If it is a large area you want to cover, dab the concealer stick directly on to the area and then blend in.

With the concealer stick it is better to build the colour up slowly. It is quite greasy and will dislodge if you knock it or scrape it at this point, so once you are happy with it or you are nearly there, use a lighter and lighter touch to add product so you don't knock it off.

This does take some practise but it definitely works once you have the hang of it. The concealer I have chosen is quite light in colour compared to my skin and that seems to work well.

STEP FOUR

You must fix your makeup using setting powder in order for it to work. I find that I have to fix my makeup a couple of times through the day.

I have only used the clear powder, which doesn't affect the colour of the foundation. You literally dab it on using the puff and wait for 2 minutes. Then using a large brush, delicately sweep the powder away. I use a plentiful amount of fixing powder to make sure it works!

Once the powder is set you can apply your own blusher and so on. I have found that you have to be quite gentle if you are brushing blusher on.

STEP FIVE

Hopefully your face is looking flawless now!

What you need to do will vary depending on your scarring and facial redness but mine goes over my eyelids and brow bones. I have found that using thick creme eyeshadows like this from Benefit http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/gp/product/B000OHEZO6/sr=1-25/qid=1318885453/ref=sr_1_25/278-2017691-2815115?ie=UTF8&n=48844031&bcBrand=core really work well covering up redness. (On top of Dermablend!)

I also have lost some of my lip outline which I hope to have tattooed back on in the future. However until then, I outline my lips in a bright colour (pink, red...) and then fill them in. Although I've lost some of the outline, it isn't noticeable when I draw it back on with a very fine lip brush.

If you have any questions or tips, please let me know! I haven't had my make-up lesson yet (on the NHS, prescription make-up) so I might have some information in a week or so.

I also plan to try out a primer or base before I apply make-up to see if this might help fix it in place further.

No comments:

Post a Comment