Tuesday 18 October 2011

I love the sun; it no longer loves me.



Yes, this is me. I may be of fair English heritage but I love the sun. I've always been careful in the sun (factor 30-50 depending on location) but I do love to sunbathe. Unfortunately, this is something I have to give up.

I counteract this depressing fact with the thought that come 50 years of age, I will look 10 years younger than all my peers.

Initially, I have to be EXTREMELY careful in the sun.

As the nurse said to me...if I catch the sun, even the winter sun, my skin could hyperpigment and I could be left with brown patches on my skin. Her exact, bone-chilling prophecy was 'if this happens, there's nothing we can do for you.'

Added to the aesthetically hideous threat of brown patches is the fear of blistering in the sun. I have been warned that because my skin is damaged, it could blister in heat.

I'm not sure what level of sun or even 'winter' sun I would be able to withstand. So I am not taking any risks. I do plan to go on holiday next year...somewhere hot and beautiful....but I will be planning for it as though I were a hyper-sun-sensitive-red-headed-freckled-pale-faced-English-person. Or, a person with a burns injury.

1) UV parasols. I bought a UV parasol from EBAY.



UV parasols are still very popular in Japan and have featured throughout their history.

As pale, flawless skin has always been treasured in Japan, UV parasols have always been important. The Geisha, with their white face, highlights this dedication to pale skin. Although the parasols have a function to serve, they also are very pretty.



Thanks to the wonder that is EBAY, you can choose from a range of parasol design.



And yes, people do look at you. But that's because they suffer from something else. Ignorance.

I love the heart shaped one above from http://www.umbrellaheaven.com

Sun-cream

Although I feel safer under an umbrella at the moment, I am also going to be lathering myself in factor 50+. Even in the equally threatening 'winter sun!' It is only my face and ear that I am exposing at the moment but as I continue to heal and expose more flesh (!) I will have to use it in greater quantities and might have to opt for a cheaper one. Right now though, my skin is sensitive so it is treated as though it belongs to Cleopatra!

The sun cream I use at the moment is by La Roche Posay 50+ and is very gentle. I chose the 'fluid' version which is like a milk and sinks in very easily. For someone who had sensitive and spot prone skin pre-burn, you can imagine how gentle the products I use need to be. It can bought from Boots and is around £15 for 30ml.

http://www.laroche-posay.co.uk/topics/specific-treatments/For-sensitive-or-sun-allergy-prone-skin-t129.aspx



UV T-Shirts

The last thing that I will get for my holiday next year is a UV T-shirt. As my burns are all upper body, I will be able to wear this in the pool over my bikini. (I can take it off once safety under an umbrella. I am still quite vain!) This means that, teamed with a big hat, I can still go in the sea or in the pool.

If you have a burn then there is no reason you shouldn't enjoy yourself (I don't think) but you need to be very responsible (sigh) and think of all the things that could make you uncomfortable for cause problems. For me, having this level of control is comforting. It makes me feel like I can handle situations, as I have prepared myself for every eventuality.

http://www.sun-togs.co.uk/catalog/125

Sun togs does a women's and men's range. They don't come cheap! If anyone has bought these and has a better source, please let me know!!!

1 comment:

  1. They have similar UV clothes here: http://www.equatorsun.com/sun_protection_clothes_adults.jsp

    ReplyDelete