Wednesday 19 October 2011

Compression garments

The discovery

I had a couple of weeks where every time I went to the hospital, the nurse got out what I referred to as her list of doom. 'You need skin grafts now.' Boom! Number one on the list of doom. 'This will really hurt.' Boom! 'Afterwards we will measure you for your compression garment.'

I had no idea what this compression garment was, as no one had mentioned it yet. So I regarded the child-size one she brought out to show me with something akin to aloofness. What did this have to do with me?

As she began to explain the purpose of the compression vest, it began to sink in.

It's my exact measurements.
It's tight.
Really tight.
I have to wear it for 23 hours a day.
I have to wear it for up to 2 years. When I will be nearly 30 years old.

It has a little collar.

Did I mention...it's really, really tight?

The reality

Here is my compression vest.



It's taken me a long time to get around to wearing it as I've had a rash around my grafts for 2 months. Nothing has worked on it so I'm going to try acupuncture in the next few weeks. Eventually, the physio told me that not wearing the vest was going to be detrimental to my scarring, so I am wearing it and hoping it doesn't make the rash worse.

Actually, it's not that bad.

It's been 3 days so far and this is what I've decided.

It's not that visible under clothes really. In fact, it's more cosmetically acceptable than my red chest and neck.

My grafts feel quite 'safe' under it. Less vulnerable.

It is coming up to winter and I'm always cold anyway!

It is really tight once you put it back on but you do get used to it. It never gets comfortable but you adjust to tune it out.

I can take it off for special events or nights out if need be, as long as I put it back on to sleep in.

When I take it off to massage I can already feel the grafts and scarring flattening out. I am seriously pleased about this!

Everyone who I care about seems to accept it.

And the only true positive thing about it is....I can wear a proper bra over it!!!! I have had to wear strapless ones for three months as the straps seriously chafe my skin. All of a sudden I have a bust back in the place a bust should be and not halfway down my waist!

If you have to wear a compression vest, it is a horrible thing to be told. It is not sexy or glamourous and 2 years is a long time. But I promise you, if I can already feel the flattening in 3 days, it will be worth it in the long run.

I am aware that people reading this might have to wear facial compression masks or full body garments and might be thinking 'oh dear, this girl has no idea' but I can only face my own battle. I did see these type of compression garments when I was doing my research and I am aware of how lucky I am, lucky that mine is not visible under my clothes. I wish you all well. I think of Katie Piper, she was the model of patience and dignity when faced with her treatments. She looks amazing now thanks to her perseverance.

3 comments:

  1. Why do doctors/nurses tell you that having a skin graft "is going to really hurt" when we haven't really any other option!? I had the same thing with my doctors I felt like shouting at them, it doesn't really make you feel good does it.

    I think it's great that you are pleased with your compression garment. I know they are uncomfortable things and focusing on how it's helping you is brilliant. For the record I don't think you have no idea I think WOW! that you are blogging about your experiences! It will be so so helpful for people in the same position and for you in the long run.

    Take care, Kirby x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for my first comments Kirby!

    I think that the doctor's oversee so many procedures they forget that it's all new to you and you don't know what to expect!

    One doctor said to me,'remember, we haven't had the procedure ourselves, so we can't tell you exactly what it's like, just what other patients have told us.' That did not make me feel positive!

    I hope you continue to read and find it interesting :)

    x

    ReplyDelete